Thursday, October 13, 2011

Technology as Art

A topic that I am not particularly knowledgeable on, is Technology as Art.  I am sure that many technologies that I encounter on a daily basis are viewed more as an art form, than a form of technology.  Many technologies that we use or experience are likely not thought of as technologies.  I do not think of a pen as a technology, per se, but more of a tool.  In the context of a museum, when I see some sort of visual display, I would think of that as technology yet also as an art form, however outside of that context, I struggle to differentiate.

Certainly in our classrooms, we can incorporate both concepts as a means to promote creativity.  As noted in class, however, some of these opportunities may simply waste time.  Once provided with some further insight on the concept, such as Norman McLaren's abstract film which fuses art and technology, I realize that I encounter a fusion of both concepts more than I realize.  Do we think that our students would be able to suggest some experiences they have had or things they have seen as technology as art?  I think we could likely learn much from them in this regard.

I will have to do some research as to ways to incorporate these concepts into the classroom, as I am sure many of the kids can identify at least with the technological aspect, as well as the art aspect.  Using new media in the art classroom would be a fun and modern learning opportunity.  Using various technologies such as iPod's, iPad's, Smartboards, or whatever technology is available, to work with programs to create simple works of art.  For example, an online art gallery of the children's creations would be a fun way for the kids to showcase their creations for their teachers and families to see.   Incorporating art and technology in the classroom is a topic for a professional development session I would be interested in!

No comments:

Post a Comment